ASUS is the number one motherboard manufacturer in the world and they’ve been expanding to other business for several years, recently reaching the power supply market. Though ASUS power supplies are not sold in the US, this didn’t prevent us from getting our hands on their 500 W product, which is sold throughout the world. Manufactured by Delta Electronics, does this power supply carry ASUS high-quality standards? Let’s see.
P-50GA is a short 5 ½” (140 mm) power supply, having a 120 mm fan on its bottom, active PFC and no modular cabling system.
All cables have a nylon protection, but the sleevings don’t come from inside the power supply, as you can see in Figure 2. The cables included on P-50GA are:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector.
- One cable with one EPS12V connector and one ATX12V connector.
- One cable with two six/eight-pin auxiliary power connectors for video cards.
- Two SATA power cables with two plugs each.
- One peripheral power cable with three standard peripheral power plugs and one floppy disk drive power connector.
- One peripheral power cable with three standard peripheral power plugs.
The cables are somewhat short, having 17 21/64” (44 cm) between the power supply housing and the first connector on the cable and 5 ½” (140 mm) between connectors, on cables with more than one connector. The length of the cables may make it difficult for you to use this power supply inside a full tower case or even on a mid-tower case where the power supply is installed on the bottom of the case.
Almost all wires are 18 AWG. The ATX12V/EPS12V cable uses 20 AWG wires, which are thinner than we’d like to see on a 500 W product.
The number of connectors available is enough for you to build an entry-level or mainstream PC, but it would be nice to see at least six SATA power plugs. The two video card power connectors available are installed on the same cable, which isn’t the best configuration: it is always better to see them using individual cables.
Now let’s take an in-depth look inside this power supply.