Gigabyte has entered the case business a while ago and their latest release is Poseidon, an all-aluminum case. We had the chance to take a look at one of this latest case from Gigabyte.
Poseidon is a very light 5-bay all-aluminum ATX case (five 5.25” bays, one 3.5” bay plus three internal 3.5” bay). One very interesting feature of this case is that you can replace the side panel mesh with an acrylic side window that comes with the product, as you can see in Figure 3.
In Figure 4, you can see Poseidon’s front panel. It comes with the traditional power and reset switches, one mic input, one headphone output, two USB ports and, what is really cool, one FireWire port, a not so common feature.
On its backside, you will find a 120 mm fan that glows blue when the system is turned on (this fan comes with the case) and two holes with a rubber protection for using water cooling solutions.
[nextpage title=”Inside The Poseidon”]
In Figure 6 you can take a look inside Poseidon case from Gigabyte. Opening it is very simple as it uses thumbscrews. This case comes with two 120 mm fans, one at the back of the case, that glows blue when the system is turned on, and one at the front of the case. It has seven screwless slots for expansion boards, meaning that you can install daughterboards without needing to use a screwdriver. This case doesn’t come with a power supply.
In Figure 7, you can see a close up on the front panel fan. As you can see, it helps cooling down hard disk drives installed on the two 3 ½” internal bays located in front of it.
In Figure 8 you can take a look at the accessories that comes with the case. Besides the usual stuff, this case comes with a small extra window for you to personalize it. This case, like other Gigabyte cases, has a light beam projector that projects the Poseidon logo on your desk when the system is turned on. You can change this logo by a logo of your own using this small window.
In Figure 9, you can see the location of the light beam projector. If you want to personalize it, Gigabyte provides a series of pre-made logos on their website in Word format, including templates for you to create your own design. Just print them on transparent paper, cut the design you want to use and replace the original slide.
[nextpage title=”Main Specifications”]
Poseidon main specs include:
- Application: ATX and smaller form factors derived from this one.
- Material: Aluminum.
- Available colors: Silver or Black.
- Size: N/A
- Weight: 22 lbs (10 Kg)
- Bays: Five 5.25” bays and one 3.5” bay plus three 3.5” internal bays.
- Expansion slots: seven.
- Fans: Two 120 mm fans, one at the front panel cooling two 3.5” internal bays, and one at the rear, which glows blue when the system is turned on. Both rotate at 1,000 rpm.
- Extra features: Side panel where you can replace its mesh by an acrylic side window (that comes with the product) and light beam projector.
- More Information: https://www.gigabyte-usa.com
- Average price in the USA: We couldn’t find this case being listed on North American price comparison websites on the day we published this First Look article. According to Gigabyte, this case will have a suggested price of USD 99.
In our opinion this is a great aluminum case that will please all enthusiast users looking for a high-quality case. If it really reaches the market priced at USD 100 it will be a terrific buy, since competing products are priced a little bit higher.
Its light beam projector is great if you want to personalize it to show off your PC to your friends.
Its replaceable mesh is also a great feature, since you can have an acrylic side window if you want to with the same product.
By the way, Gigabyte is going to enter the power supply business in the next few months.